Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dublin it's me, Caitlin Eileen

My ancestors thought it was about time I made an appearance to Ireland so they kindly made the flight out of Dublin, Ireland to Uganda $400 cheaper than coming from Madrid! That and I have GREAT friends who accompanied me to the airport so I wouldn't feel like I completed a marathon before getting on the flight! On the way TO their apartment with my luggage, the homeless men under the bridge clapped for me when I completed the walk down the stairs. I mean, a ROUND of applause. Laugh all you want, how many of you have gotten a rousing and supportive ROUND of applause from the homeless homies? Score. However, I have never seen anyone else voluntarily lug 2 pieces of luggage and one backpack down at least 8 separate flights of stairs so maybe their "support" was leaning more towards sympathy with the belief I will be joining them in a few days time...
A word of advice; put on your hiking backpack BEFORE you put things into it. Or, have friends (Daniel and Elaine pictured below with smiling faces, THANKS!) that do. I spent 15 minutes walking with my backpack full of heavy books and games feeling completely sure I had also brought along a stowaway friend for my trip.  Who would have thought the "sag your backpack as low as possible and by all means, DO NOT us the stomach straps!!"rule that is cool in 5th grade does NOT apply to hiking packs. That stomach squeezer makes your life change in an instant! 

My Irish luck followed me to the airport where I realized I was going to have to sweet-talk the world's stingiest and strictest airline (begins with an R, ends with YANAIR) to overlook their 15
kg rule by oh.....50 kilos! I came prepared and I have to admit, did a little bullshitting (hey it's
for a good cause!) I walked up to the check-in desk where I noticed the man lift his eyebrows when he saw that my two friends had stepped out of line and it was just me with the 3 pieces of luggage. I put on my "I love cheap airlines and their overworked staff!" face and introduce myself and my luggage. I try to act casual even though my face doesn't (completely red) when the first bag on the scale weighs 23 kilos. THE FIRST BAG. Did I mention the lightest bag? This is my life for the past year in 3 suitcases. One completely full of stuff I am leaving in Uganda, one with all my electronics, shower supplies, meds, bug spray, books, etc. and the other with clothes. Luckily, I also have my "this is a serious meeting at Chrysler" face in handy as I pull out my paperwork. "Hi, I spoke with someone when I purchased this ticket about Ryanair's policies and they informed me that it might be possible to make an exemption if I showed you all my paperwork informing you of where I am going and what I am doing. Of course, they told me they couldn't say for SURE but you would be able to at check-in." I said this as fast as possible like he already knew I was coming with enough weight to have my own personal plane. Seriously, I did feel a little bad because he looked stressed. Who wants to tell the volunteer she has to pay to give little kids with nothing some educational materials?!? After a "one moment please" followed by 5 minutes of me talking to Daniel and Elaine  with my fingers crossed, he was back. Annnnd....SUCCESS! NO extra costs. Those bags cost me 10 euros/each!! Had I had to follow their policy, I would have had to pay 200 euros more! Luck of the Irish :)

After waiting an hour to collect my luggage and one incorrect drop off by a not so fantastic bus driver later, I was headed in the right direction courtesy of the kind security guard at the 24 hour McDonald's who addressed my questions after controlling a drunken Irish brawl. Looking like I was moving into Abbey Court Hostal ("hi I am here for 3 nights even though it looks like I am staying 3 years" was met rather frostily)...Welcome to Dublin! 

A great surprise? My Irish boss from camp was in town visiting her brother and going to the U2 concert! With no obligation to be but as always, insanely nice, she invited me to have breakfast with her and her brother and then gave me a quick tour of the city followed by an amazing Thai food lunch. How do I meet people like this? The fun part is trying to return the favor; "Well Trisha, whenever you want to come visit the USA where a MUST-SEE is Michigan (right) and see the landmark sites like Eminem's 8 mile (ok) I will be happy to give you a tour! We are famous for our Coney Island and we drive on the opposite side of the road so you will have a blast! Miami? San Diego? Nah, it's too hot in winter. We get to wear boots and scrape our cars!" Lucky for me, I just have great friends who don't look for paybacks!

So at my 10 euros/night Hostal in the center of Dublin, life is good! I am in a room with 9 other girls from all over the world who are pretty interesting; 2 track and field college athletes from Minnesota State, 4 Australians (seriously, they are EVERYWHERE!) a Russian, and some spanish girls. All are friendly and besides the minor annoyance of one bathroom in the room for all of us, it's great! 

(below; Trisha, best D.O.S ever!)



No comments:

Post a Comment