Friday, July 3, 2009

You know we are still in "La Crisis" when...



After arriving back to Madrid on Saturday night, I was completely moved out of my apartment by 2:00pm Sunday afternoon and on a train to Valencia with the world's largest suitcase of clothes summing up my last year of life.
Before I get into the title of this blog, I have to describe the life of a Spaniard. Now everyday, just like in the U.S, there are huge articles in the paper about the poor economy. Although I don't watch it, I believe it is a safe assumption to believe it's an important topic on the T.V. People are REALLY hurting here and there is a lot problems especially in the construction business, previously Spain's lucrative sector. However, if you were a tourist that decided to only check out the night life in a major city or actually, ANY city at all, you would never know there was a crisis hitting the world. Tapas and beer are what Coke and pizza are to an American; when all else fails, you don't give that up. The streets are always crowded with people and life is good. Sights like these lead me to my reoccurring thoughts of, "how do they afford this? Where are they cutting back?" Well, I have found the answer.

Back to my trip to Valencia. I took the Renfe which is the longer distance train service out of Madrid.  I can't remember the last time I was on a long train ride and I really liked it. There is a restaurant in the train where you can go and read the paper, order food and drinks, and talk with other people at the bar, charming. Now everyone is likely familiar with the massive cuts made in air-transit i.e paying for your softdrinks and even perhaps the little pack of peanuts! And of course, the brilliant executive from I believe Ryannair who wants to have pay-to-use toilets. Right. Clearly crisis mode. Keeping this is mind, I found it absolutely amazing as well as a clear indication of our current situation when near the end of the trip having been provided nothing for free, I see a train attendant (uh is that correct, an attendant?) with a big smile coming up the aisle with a basket in his hand. Awesome. I am hoping its a bag of pretzels and literally everyone is awake and waiting in the cabin. I see him handing out small gray packets that MUST be a chocolate or a mint since they are so tiny. Oh if we were only so lucky. This man has the audacity to pass out A (please annunciate the singular "A") jellybean. A jellybean. One. In plastic wrap. I also think it is important to note that this was not a large bean NOR an exclusive brandname like JellyBelly. No this was A (again, please emphasize the "A" to get the full effect) generic brand jellybean. It had to cost more to package them than the actual making of the bean. I attached a picture just so you can see what the crisis has done to the poor public transit system of Spain. Clearly, they are in a tough spot.

Anyways, arriving in Valencia was great. Currently I am working as a basketball coach for children at an English camp. Suffice it to say, this is the most fun and easiest work I have had in well, forever! I love it and I get the weekends off! This is also a great way to save up for my trip because included in this job is free room and board. I don't make a lot of money but all the money I make essentially can go towards things I need like oh...life-saving vaccinations for myself (still need the rabies shot) and contributions to enhance the lives of the people I will be working with. I am thankfully able to spend a little time now organizing and reading ahead for what I will be doing/experiencing and all I can say is, I continue to feel so fortunate to have the things I do. Even more importantly, the supportive people! There is a really incredible video online passed along to me by several people and I want to attach it as well. It's about empowering one girl and the effects it can have on an entire village and maybe even a greater area. Girls have proven to be the most powerful agents of change in the developing world if given a chance to receive an education. If you have a few minutes, it is definitely worth watching!

1 comment:

  1. Caitie,
    Girl I have to say when I read your blogs you do two key things for me:
    1. You make me laugh SO hard! A (emphasis please) jellybean! hahaha! God I love you
    2. You force me, even when I am tired and slacking off in between shifts, to think and learn, and become obsessed with finding out more and more about your topic of the day. First of all, you made an excellent point about poverty and how people see it as a tourist versus a local. I am curious, does every individual you run into speak about the hard times like they are talking about the weather like in N. America? Oh, and the video...INCREDIBLE! My new inspiration.
    Thank-you for being wonderful, creative, and for sharing your love of the world with everyone around you.
    Miss you roomie,
    Chrystal

    ReplyDelete